Thursday, January 21, 2016

Miss Missa on the road: Training Days 7 and 8

Hello! Yesterday was another observation day, and I had the pleasure of observing a parent-infant guidance class with another instructor. The children in this class were older toddlers, as in the previous class I observed. It was held in a different space, and the children were not as invested in physical conflict with each other as the children from Monday's group. That's not to say that there was no limit-testing; the facilitator had plenty of opportunities to demonstrate respectful child guidance techniques!

A good chunk of today's class was spent discussing what we observed in the parent-infant guidance classes. We had seen a total of 6 different classes between the 8 of us, so there sure was a lot to talk about! We then started digging in to infant-infant interactions. Hooray, peer interactions and peer learning! I wonder why we as a society are afraid to allow infants and young children to freely interact with each other? Could it be that we are terrified that one baby or the other might cry? Why are we so afraid of crying babies?

As far as my California adventure in general is concerned, I managed to get to the 99-cent store yesterday and stocked up on kool-aid packets (those have been discontinued in Canada, and are useful in many ways!) and matching socks (because I love my sister-in-law enough to avoid making her bonkers with mismatches when she's being kind enough to host me at her house...). I tried to go to In N Out Burger for my late lunch/early supper, but it was literally packed; I couldn't even get in the doors. So I walked over to Chic-Fil-A instead, and was amused by the multiple walk-up ordering windows and the complete lack of indoor customer space (it was like a walk-through, a drive-through, and a patio with plenty of seating).

It's hard to believe that I'm just two days away from the end of this class. On the one hand, I know that we will pack a lot of useful information into those days. On the other hand, I still have a whole lot of typing to do before the end of Friday! On that note, it's time for me to switch gears and get some homework finished before I sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment